REFLECTIONS: COLLEGE DECISIONS

Sydney Peet, Staff Reporter

It’s that time of year. Most students have received their college decisions, and are in varying stages of securing their spots at a university. Some will attend their dream school in the fall, some are waitlisted at their dream school, some will attend their safety school, some have been denied from schools they saw themselves attending in the fall, some will be attending a trade school, and some students will not be attending higher education at all. 

In our present world, it is hard to be happy with our own choices and accomplishments due to the rise of “flex culture.” Many people use their social media to “flex” on others and to demonstrate how well off they are in various subjects (friends, clothing, vacations). Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been the culprit of posting vacation pics often enough, and I do enjoy catching up on others’ lives through their posts, but flexing can have serious effects on people’s mental and emotional well-being.

A trend in the past few years has been to film reactions to opening college decisions. Although this may seem harmless, this flex may induce some self-consciousness and anxiety in students. I know all-too-well the negative effects of these videos in my own life, particularly with many 2020 seniors posting their college decisions on Instagram and Youtube; I have trouble trying to be proud of myself when I watch videos of others. I’m sure many of them do not mean to inflict feelings of self-doubt or defeat in viewers, heck, I even started filming my own reactions to college decisions in December with good intentions. However, some of these students posting about being accepted to Harvard, Stanford, Duke, or MIT, can hurt fragile and strong psyche unintentionally. 

It’s hard not to compare yourself to others, and it can really hurt when others get into extremely selective colleges and you couldn’t get into your dream school, but it is important to remember your own strengths and accomplishments. Maybe you are really good at skeeball or you won a local poetry contest or maybe you are just really good at getting others to smile. Hold onto these feats, no matter how small they may seem to you, because they are the backbone to your personality and uniqueness. Attending a certain college may affect your personality, but it doesn’t make you who you are. Being kind, respectful, and just being you is worth so much more than attending a certain school. 

Remember: college decisions do not determine your worth and no one is better or worse than you for attending a particular institution. In 20 years, it will not matter how many schools so-and-so got into or where they ended up going. Keep your own goals in the crosshairs and you’ll be sure to hit the mark.