Drama Club Students Promote Reading in honor of’ Read across America Night’

Mrs. Jessica McLaughlin

Drama Club students were excited to promote reading. From left, seated: Alex Fullone, wizard; Honour Shaffer, Prince Dauntless; Rhonda Fenkner, Lady Larken; Alex Taylor, Sir Harry; and Joe McNeill, King. From left, standing: Lily Visceglia, jester; Becca Boots, student director/ ensemble; Jenna Frable, ensemble; and Rebeccah King, ensemble.

Mrs. Jessica McLaughlin, Public Relations Officer

Kids of all ages enjoyed a night of entertainment to include the reading of children’s books, performances from the upcoming Western Wayne Drama Club’s production of Once Upon a Mattress, and even a performance by local magician David Black.

Western Wayne’s Robert D. Wilson Elementary School PTA hosted Read Across America Night on Thursday, March 5, free of charge to the public.  There were be tours of the RDW building and opportunities to stop in classrooms to hear stories read by RDW staff and friend.

Western Wayne Drama Club students  performed excerpts from their upcoming spring show Once Upon a Mattress with performance dates set for April 17, 18, and 19.  The musical is the classic story of the princess and the pea.

Senior Sydney Peet plays Queen Aggravain in the show.  Her character is determined to keep her son Prince Dauntless, played by senior Honour Shaffer, from marrying an unsuitable bride.  Sydney has really been enjoying playing the role of the queen who is quite out spoken.

“I enjoy playing a character who is set in what she wants and not afraid to get her point across,”   Sydney, who is playing her third role in a Western Wayne musical and has played various roles in community theater, said.  “I hope the audience likes our performance of “Sensitivity.”  This is the queen’s solo in which she tries to come up with an unfair way to test the new princess in the kingdom suing for her son’s hand in marriage.”

“Sensitivity” is just one song from Once Upon a Mattress to be performed at Read Across America Night.

Another Western Wayne senior who is excited to perform is Sydney’s costar Honour Shaffer.  Honour looks forward to performing in “The Swamps of Home” at Read Across America.

“I really think the audience will find this number entertaining because the princess tells a story about growing up in an unconventional swamp kingdom that she and everyone else on stage comes to find fascinating,” Honour, who is playing his fourth role in a Western Wayne musical, explained.

Senior Andie Solimine plays the role of Princess Winnifred.  She feels very happy to be playing a lead role for her senior year having been in two musicals prior to this one at Western Wayne.

“I love to sing, act, and dance,” Andie said.  “I really look forward to sharing what we have been practicing each day with the community.”