NHS Gathering Food and Toys for Community Drives

Helping the community is a requirement of membership in National Honor Society, but it's also one of the rewards for students like Ezra Tetreault, Parker Howell and Derek Mason.

Adelaide Treibley, Staff Reporter

Western Wayne’s National Honors Society or NHS for short has been doing wonderful volunteer and community work all school year.  Ms. Kendra Wayman, club adviser and NHS President Ezra Tetreault are pleased about the extra things the organization has done for the community. Ezra spoke enthusiastically about the Fall Food Drive that NHS conducted. 

“We have been doing a lot of volunteering this year,” Ezra said. “It’s important to our National Honor Society chapter.”  Ezra explained that members have been gathering toys and donations and on February fourth will be giving these to the Wayne County Christmas Bureau along with any cash donations they have raised in the past few weeks.   

In the fall NHS held its first food drive of the school year to raise food for the Honesdale Ronald McDonald House. “It was early in the fall, we had the first food drive,” Ezra said.  The Ronald McDonald House is a well-known charity that helps families and sick children worldwide by providing a safe and warm place for families to stay close to hospitals when children are hospitalized.   Ezra explained that the Western Wayne High school chapter of the NHS not only gathered canned good and non-perishables they also brought them to the Ronald McDonald House and then returned to the facility in Scranton on another day to help to bag and hand out the food they had brought.  While other organizations simply hold food drives, honor society members were eager to go to the next level and help bag and disperse the food. 

Currently, the members of NHS are wrapping up a toy drive. They have loaded everything up and will be delivering the collection in early February.  “NHS has gathered about 150 toys and about $775 in cash donations,” Ms. Wayman said. “We are bringing everything to the Wayne County Christmas Bureau.”  The Bureau helps disperse presents to children in our local area.