Volleyball Team Finishes Undefeated in the League

Photo by Maya Black

Freshman Rebecca Klemovitch excelled on the court this season. She already has her coach's eye as an up an coming player to watch.

Allison McCarthy, Staff Reporter

July 7th was the first offseason summer practice for the girls’ volleyball team. After a tough loss in the first round of playoffs last year, Coach Thorpe was ready for a fresh start. He planned a Pre-Season camp with Wilkes University coaches who brought with them various exercises and drills to condition the girls. Everyone on the team will agree that this helped push everyone to their limits.
With only 10 girls on the varsity lineup, they went into their first regular season game on August 31st. The team was facing Dunmore who had defeated them twice the previous year. The girls were able to sweep them 3-0 on their home court. With this win, everybody knew this year could bring something special.
As the season went on, the girls we able to sweep the likes of Blue Ridge, Abington Heights, and Montrose. In their two out-of-league games, the girls lost to both Delaware Valley and Berwick. These loses only pushed them to work harder at practice. On October 17th, after winning their game against Mountain View, they had officially become champions in their league. Star player Rebecca Klemovich said, “It feels really, really good. I have been working for this for four years now. This year my team has bonded and worked together to achieve this.”
In the middle of a set on their home court, Mr. Black stopped the game and announced that with the kill she had just made, Rebecca had surpassed Becca Carmody to become the record-holder for most kills in Western Wayne history. Becca happily recalled this event. “My team and I worked really hard for it. It wasn’t just an individualized goal but it was the team’s goal,” she said.
As her high school career comes to an end, Rebecca has plans to, “attend a four-year university and play volleyball.” Many coaches and scouts from various prestigious schools have already contacted her. As the season’s close, she said the greatest keys to this year’s success has been “team bonds and the coach.”