Senior Zach Rovinsky Psyched for 2019-20 Basketball Season

Rovinsky Ready fo Add to 1000 Point Career Total

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Mia Rovinsky

Photo by Mia Rovinsky

Photo by Mia Rovinsky

Mia Rovinsky, Staff Reporter

Over the years, Western Wayne basketball has overcome many hardships and many tough losses. Around three years ago our program had gotten turned around when coach Al

Semenza stepped up to the block and took the team under his reins. Three years ago, Zach Rovinsky, then a freshman, had really helped to take our basketball program to a whole new level as well. Now today, Zach is a senior and is about to go into his fourth and final season as a Western Wayne wildcat.

As many may know Coach Al Semenza, after three years had decided to leave Western Wayne. It was a hard loss for the team, but the new coach is working toward helping the cats to

many victories this season. While talking with Zach, he stated “ He is a nice guy, he knows what he is doing, and will keep us moving forward in the right direction.” Zach is also very confident that the cats will have a very good and successful season. Rovinsky said, “We have worked really hard over the past four years to rebuild the program, as well as working as a team to build great relationships with each other. Even though we have a new coach and new players coming in this year, we are still very hopeful for a great season.”

As Zach is closing in on his last year of highschool, he said that his favorite memory on the basketball team was going to the state playoffs in Sunbury vs. Danville. “We lost, but it was one of the greatest experiences in my life,” Zach explained.  This was really a big accomplishment for not only Zach, but for the team as a whole because they all had worked very hard to reach that point.

In another milestone accomplishment, Zach scored his 1,000th career point in basketball as a junior, which is a feat that not many student athletes can achieve.  “The moment was unforgettable, with all of my family by my side. It was really remarkable to receive this accomplishment as a junior, since I have been working towards it since freshman year.”

Recently, Zach has committed to the University of Scranton to continue playing basketball and study the major of biochemistry. “The University of Scranton is a very great school and is not too far from home. I hope to come back to see some of the basketball games in the following year after I graduate to see my former teammates play,” Zach said.  Since Zach was in fourth grade, he had been working to further his basketball career while in college, and it is a really awesome achievement to see happen for him. Zach could not name just one thing he loves about basketball, because he overall enjoys the sport as a whole.

Zach also talked about some of the things he enjoys about high school, “I really love all of my teachers, being able to play in basketball games, and the fact that the student section that is always there to support our athletes at every game.”  Zach said he cannot name a “favorite” teacher” because “they are all equally important and great role models to learn from.”

Since there is always a crowd at the basketball games, Zach tries to focus on the younger spectators that are there to watch him and the team play. “It feels good to know that young kids are able to see me as a respectable person in the community and on the court,” he said. “It is always a good thing to put out a positive attitude even when you are losing a game or having a tough quarter.”

Zach hopes that during this season many people make an attempt to make it to as many games as possible as he closes in on his senior season.