WW Girls Varsity Tennis Team: An Optimistic Future after a Rebuilding Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

The tennis team enjoys successful season.

Courtesy of Rachel Tuman

Courtesy of Rachel Tuman

Courtesy of Rachel Tuman

Rachel Tuman, Staff Reporter

After facing the toughest, most experienced teams, especially private schools, early in the season, the girls became more confident. They went on to win against Mid Valley, Scranton, and Dunmore High Schools. Under the leadership of Senior Captain Marilyn Ogof, the Team thrived. Ogof exclaims, “Being the captain of this team has been such an honor and I am so proud of how far they have come. I cannot wait to see what they account to next year!” Looking forward to the 2020 Fall Season, the Western Wayne Girls Varsity Tennis Team has a very promising future with the returning players. The returning players are Rachel Tuman, Ava Compton, Stevie Wilkinson, Anya Rusnak, Madison McGlone, Ella Dougher, and Allison Buchinski. Sophomore Ava Compton, believes that “Next season will show unbelievable growth within the team and increased camaraderie with our fellow teammates.”

The Team is currently looking for new recruits for next season. There are no special requirements or experience needed to join the team. Sophomore Stevie Wilkinson urges prospective teammates to “Join tennis because it is extremely enjoyable and you will make so many lasting friendships throughout the season!” Additionally, Junior Anya Rusnak believes “The team is such an amazing thing to be a part of because it’s filled with amazing and welcoming people. I completely recommend joining!”

Tennis is a very exciting, diverse, and enjoyable sport. If you, or someone you know, is interested in joining the Girls Varsity Tennis Team, feel free to approach Rachel Tuman for more information regarding the 2020 Fall Season. The Western Wayne Girls Varsity Tennis Team is very eager and enthusiastic for the 2020 Fall Season and hopes for the addition of new, prospective teammates!