Planet Wildcat

Cats Club Dedicated to Helping Community to Thrive

Maggy Langendoerfer, Staff Reporter

Helping people in need:  That is what the Western Wayne C.A.T.S Club is all about. The most recent activity that the C.A.T.S club participated in was sending medical kits to kids in Africa.

C.A.T.S Club is a club at Western Wayne that stands for community attitude towards success. C.A.T.S Club is all about volunteering and helping the community and that is exactly what they are doing. The club has done many community based volunteer work in the past and in the future. This organization tries to get the students of Western Wayne involved in the community they live in. They also try to get non-members to help the community and other people. Recently they hosted a blood drive in honor of English teacher Mr. James Rebar, who benefited from several blood transfusions before he tragically died of cancer.

The club also helped outside of the community recently by making up medical kits for kids in Africa. These kits are obviously very important to the kids in Africa and help them immensely with a medical issue that they face called jigger foot. The kids do not have shoes, so sand fleas, called jigger fleas, create holes in the feet of the people and create pain and discomfort along with the inability to walk because of this pain.

“The kits had cotton balls, needles, and, antibacterial ointment,” Maggie Millon, one  club member, explained. “We made more than 50 medical kits. The website had two options you could either cut out jeans for shoes that cost $10 per shoe or do the medical kits which cost $2 per kit. The shoe idea was too expensive for the club to do so we went with the medical kits.”

Mrs. Johnson, the school nurse and the club’s administrator, is very pleased with the project. “I would like to help them again next year,” she said. Mrs. Johnson explained the importance of the project in this way: This community service project helps the students develop compassion, humility and responsibility for others.”

She said members of the C.A.T.S Club and herself as advisor found this project extremely worthwhile because the club was “able to help African children become free of the Jiggers (sand fleas) which burrow in their feet.”

“These children can no longer run and play because of the excruciating pain from these parasites,” she explained.

“We put a handwritten note in each medical kit so the children would receive an encouraging message from American children just like them,” Mrs. Johnson added.

The busy club also made desserts for the Open Door Cafe in Waymart. The cafe is a soup kitchen for those who are less fortunate and need a hot meal to eat. The Open Door Cafe is open on Saturday’s form 4 PM to 6 PM. The cafe is always looking for volunteers, and helping out is as simple as making a dessert.

For their next project, members of the C.A.T.S Club will be working on is making blankets for hospitals and police officers cars for kids. The organization they are working with is called Project Linus. The club received a $500 grant for this project from The Youth Advisory Committee. With the money Mrs. Johnson is purchasing as much fabric as possible to make as many blankets as possible.

The C.A.T.S Club’s goal is simple: to get students involved in their community, and clearly they are succeeding greatly at this goal. If you, too, would like to get involved, see Mrs. Johnson. You can help our community thrive by assisting others.

The student news site of Western Wayne High School