Sports Update

Teams Ready for New Season

Lenny Maiocco, Staff Reporter

Tennis

The boy’s tennis team is getting ready for another great season that is coming up very soon.

The team’ record last year was 8-6. This may come as a shock considering every member was a beginner. However, this didn’t hold them back as they made it to the first round of team district playoffs.

“Coming into this tennis season is going to be very fun and exciting. I’m looking forward to trying out for a singles spot,”senior Mitchell Herzog said. “After the success I had last year at second doubles, I am ready to show what I can do at a singles.”

This year, the boys’ varsity tennis team is undergoing a change in coaching. Last year’s head coach, Dante Terenzio decided to pursue another coaching position at Freedom in Bethlehem Pennsylvania. “I’m going to miss Dante because he was the one to get me to try tennis and I really enjoyed it,” sophomore Michael Devore said.

However, this year’s new head coach, Lenny Maiocco, Jr. is more than ready to move into position to move forward in his new position.  “I am very excited to be the head coach this year and build off of what Dante taught them last year. I feel I can really make a difference and improve all of the players talents by implementing new teaching techniques and different drills.,” he said.

The team will start off season training at the Hideout this February to prepare for the upcoming season. “I am very excited to see how well they practice and what they remember from last year,” Lenny said. The team will practice indoors until spring sports officially start in March. They are all eager and excited to start the season and build off of the success they had last year.

Track and Field

The track and field team is preparing for the impending spring season as it approaches.

After having great success last season, most of the team is partaking in indoor track to get ready for the season. They are hoping to build off of the success they had last year. “They are working hard and putting in the required training to make an impact in the sport,” coach Justin Collins said. “I look forward to having another amazing season and to see what we can do.”

Last year was full of success for the Varsity girls’ team. They won the 2018 PIAA Girls Track and Field Championship. Building off of the success, Trina Barcarola, Annie Skirpan, Samantha Atcavage, and Elizabeth Pulice qualified for the 2018 National Track and Field Championship, Emerging Elite in the 4 x 400 race. “We learned so much by participating in the event at Nationals and made memories of a life time,” Samantha said.

After last year’s success, Trina Barcarola is preparing for another great season where she hopes to accomplish even more. “I wouldn’t say I’m nervous.  I’m excited to improve on my skills and perform to the best of my abilities, hopefully with a favorable outcome,” Trina explained. “If things don’t go my way, then it’s definitely a time to grow mentally and physically as an athlete and to learn from my failures.”

Like Trina, many other athletes are excited for the upcoming season. “I’m most excited for getting back on the track after breaking my foot two weeks before districts last year, which ended my season. I feel like I have unfinished business from last year,” junior Ezra Tetreault said.

As a result of last year, many members are eager to show what else they can do this upcoming season. They are working to the best of their ability and are ready for what lies ahead.