TEEN TALK: Networking, Necessary Component of Teenage Job Searching

Miranda Kublius, Columnist

Miranda Kublius, Columnist

Miranda Kubilus, Columnist

Everyone at some point knows the struggle of trying to find a first job. Lots of places won’t hire people who have no experience in the workforce, which almost contradicts itself because you need experience to get a job, but you need a job to get the experience.

Being a teen and trying to find a job is especially difficult seeing as there are tons of restrictions as to when teens can and can’t work. Aside from the laws put in place to protect young workers from being taken advantage of, there are also many personal issues that interfere with a work schedule, such as school, extracurriculars, or trying to make time for a social life. When paired with the insane restrictions, most students are incapable of finding a decent job.

According to the Pennsylvania Child Labor Law, a minor of 16 years or older (meaning the rules are even more strict for those 14 and 15) can work no more than ten-hour days during the summer and they cannot work more than forty-eight hours in a week. Since most employers look for employees who can work a lot, they tend to turn down minors because it is difficult to work around the laws. So, with what seems like the world pitted against you, how could you possibly find a job?

To simplify the process of trying to find a place that will hire a teenager, networking is always a good way to go. Whether it’s through your school or a friend, the task of getting a job is made much easier when you know someone who can help you to get the job. Sophomore Brett Schane got his job when someone he knew asked him if he was looking for a job. “I was then able to work without the stress of looking for a job,” he said.

Networking also led the way to sophomore Emma Pontosky’s job. “Someone I knew worked at a place that hired teens and brought me in when they were short on staff,” Emma explained. “I then ended up getting hired.”  Emma said she found it harder when trying to find a job without knowing anyone who worked at the company. “I actually applied to three places prior to getting my job with no responses,” she said.

Although the task of finding a job as a teen may seem impossible, between the laws and school, it may seem like nothing will ever work out. However, things can be made much easier through networking. You can network through your school, friends or family, or acquaintances. Networking makes finding job openings and people willing to hire much easier, especially in your teen years.