Planet Wildcat

Hershey Makes for a Sweet Conference for FBLA Competitors

Back to Article
Back to Article

Row 1, from left, seated:  Allison Mattern, Kirstin Metchulat, Kaitlyn Juhasz, Sydney Peet, Noelle Orehek, Trina Barcarola, Cassidy Asinski, Kayla Fitzpatrick, Alexandra Buckman, and Summer Franklin.

Row 2, from left, standing:  Caitlin Falloon, Kendra Franklin, Morgan Amorine, Jillian Dudley, Cheyenne Stenlake, Hannah Roedel, Jake Brodowsky, Caleb Hoch, Nick McGlone, Evan Coons, Dylan Walck, Lenny Maiocco, Lucas Scott, Austin Boguski, Drew Harsch, Brendan Fitzsimmons, Ezra Tetreault, Kevin Lott, Jake Kunz, Ben Burkhardt, Evan Horherchak, Darlene Black, Kate Mattern, Grace Urisch, and Faith Ursich.

Row 1, from left, seated: Allison Mattern, Kirstin Metchulat, Kaitlyn Juhasz, Sydney Peet, Noelle Orehek, Trina Barcarola, Cassidy Asinski, Kayla Fitzpatrick, Alexandra Buckman, and Summer Franklin. Row 2, from left, standing: Caitlin Falloon, Kendra Franklin, Morgan Amorine, Jillian Dudley, Cheyenne Stenlake, Hannah Roedel, Jake Brodowsky, Caleb Hoch, Nick McGlone, Evan Coons, Dylan Walck, Lenny Maiocco, Lucas Scott, Austin Boguski, Drew Harsch, Brendan Fitzsimmons, Ezra Tetreault, Kevin Lott, Jake Kunz, Ben Burkhardt, Evan Horherchak, Darlene Black, Kate Mattern, Grace Urisch, and Faith Ursich.

Brianna Burdick, Staff Writer

This year, around forty Western Wayne High School students participated in the FBLA State Conference held at Hershey Lodge in Hershey, PA. FBLA stands for Future Business Leaders of America and exemplifies the range of activities and focus of Future Business Leaders. The students who qualified for states conveyed their excellence at Regionals and were capable of moving forward in the competition. The FBLA State Conference was held from April eighth to the eleventh.

The state conference consisted of workshops, presentations, and time to meet new people. The student workshops consisted of various demonstrations of skill and business techniques. Among the Western Wayne High School attendants, three students share their experiences as a member of FBLA and their accomplishments at the State Conference.

Leonard Maiocco, freshmen in high school, is interested in a career in business. Leonard qualified for states with his first place win in Public Speaking at Regionals. His presentation at States consisted of a speech to emphasize the relationship between FBLA and tennis. Leonard is an avid member in both activities. He mentioned that his presentation had a required length of four minutes with extra credit points if he memorized the speech. During his time at states, Leonard was informed about a variety of colleges and how to obtain AP credits. He most importantly learned that with the right amount of dedication, even hobbies could become a career choice. In conclusion to his state experience, Leonard returned to school with a first place win and the opportunity to advance to nationals.

Among Leonard, junior Jillian Dudley also participated at the state level. Joining FBLA in her sophomore year, Jillian was eager to find an extracurricular activity and decided to embark on becoming a member of FBLA. Competing in a Word Processing category, Jillian was required to take a production test that consisted of typing Word Documents. This test had been taken at the high school prior to leaving for states. Upon arriving at states, she took a one-hundred question multiple-choice test and learned that studying does indeed pay off. She proudly exclaims, “I finally learned to never underestimate myself. I now know that I am capable of whatever I set my mind to.” Jillian placed first at states in her category and will additionally advance to nationals in the upcoming months.

Aside from competing at the state conference, sophomore Ezra Tetreault went to the state conference full of determination. Ezra had applied to become the PA FBLA Vice President. Ezra joined FBLA to obtain an extracurricular activity. As a participant in various sports and clubs, Ezra soon understood that FBLA was just as important to him as his sports were. At the state conference, Ezra campaigned for his speech for state officer. He had applied for state office prior to the FBLA season via email to the state officer. He then had a follow up interview back in February. Competing against two other students for officer, Ezra won the PA FBLA Vice President at Large for the 2018-2019 year. Ezra was determined to become officer to shape the organization and aim to get more students involved. When asked what being an officer for a state program means to him, Ezra describes his commitment to, “make the presence of Western Wayne felt not only at these conferences but in the state.”  Ezra aims to reach out to other schools and make them aware that they too can become a member of such a dedicated and competitive extracurricular. Ezra proudly exclaims that he is “thankful for everyone who supported and voted”. Although interested in a career in government, he competed in the Introduction to Business category and placed fifth in the state. Although not advancing to Nationals with his placement, he will advance due to his office position. Western Wayne is very proud of his dedication.

The dedication of the students in FBLA is well observed and understood. These students not only take tests and present for their particular categories, but they are nonstop working to continue to accomplish their best while trying to make their opportunities last. For the students who qualified for Nationals including Leonard, Jillian, and Ezra, even more determination arises for them in order achieve their best as well as to have fun on their National trip. Nationals will be held in Baltimore from June twenty-sixth to July second. As a school district that supports the interests of every student, Western Wayne wishes their luck to the students that will compete at Nationals.

About the Writer
Brianna Burdick, Staff Reporter

Brianna a sophomore at WWHS.  She participates in cheerleading and FCCLA.  Brianna is very passionate in her grades and education and tries her best...

The student news site of Western Wayne High School