FACULTY SPOTLIGHT: MEET MR. GREG BUTLER

Back to Article
Back to Article

FACULTY SPOTLIGHT: MEET MR. GREG BUTLER

Alex Featherman, Staff Writer

Mr. Butler is currently a history teacher Western Wayne. Some may or not know him, but the point of these articles is to display for the student body and staff on how interesting the backgrounds of our teachers are. Included with the question and answer, I wrote a small biography on Mr. Butler.

Mr. Butler Graduated high school from Bishop high school, which is now Holy Cross. He furthered his education by attending the University of Scranton, graduating with a Business Management Degree and a minor in U.S History. He also attended Marywood and Wilkes University where acquired his Teaching Certificate and his Masters in Information Technology. Mr. Butler has been at Western Wayne for 17 years. In his time here, he has not been just a teacher but also a coach (Girl’s JV coach for six years and Boys Varsity coach for four years), and the school’s athletic director for the past two years. He currently lives in West Scranton with his wife Kelly and his two kids Lily and Nolan.

Question and Answer

Q: How difficult is it to be an athletic director and a teacher? How do you balance these two?

A: Mr. Butler described it as, “challenging, but worth it” He said it is worth it because he can interact with both the students and athletes here at Western Wayne and because he enjoys working with young people.

Q: What is the greatest achievement that you have ever accomplished?

A: “A steady job, 2 children, a family to support and a wife that tolerates me” He chuckles.

Q: How did you end up at Western Wayne and not somewhere else closer to home?

A: ” I was originally brought up here to be the Varsity Boys Basketball Coach.” He says. Despite the distance, he is happy with teacher and an athletic director.

Q: What are some of your favorite hobbies/ things to do?

A: “Movies, TV, a big basketball, baseball, and football fan at all levels. I also like to play sports video games like MLB, 2K, and Madden. Although I don’t have much time to play, I still enjoy playing. Also, whatever my kids are involved in” he tells me.

Q: Would you ever consider being a Historian at a specific place in the future? If so, where and why?

A:” I’d love to work at museum, or even at a library as a history expert”

Q: What made you want to become a history teacher?

A: “I wanted to be a teacher and I also like to work with young people.” He also tells me that he passionate about history and a lot of the TV that he watches is the history channel or history related.

Q: Did you play any sports in high school?

A: “My main sport was Basketball and I played that for 4 years. Other than that, I ran cross country my first two years of high school and played baseball growing up.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about Western Wayne?

A: “The students, my co-workers, and I enjoy being in the classroom. Although I like being the athletic director, I also miss coaching.”