Planet Wildcat

Twelve Qualify for District Band

Two Auditions, Two Months to Prepare, and Two Days to Rehearse Add Up to One Spectacular Concert!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Twelve Qualify for District Band

Photo courtesy of Kristi Kromko

Photo courtesy of Kristi Kromko

Photo courtesy of Kristi Kromko

Kristi Kromko, Staff Reporter

Everyone knows about the “Pride of Western Wayne” at all of the football games, parades, and graduation. They bring joy and sound to each of our events, but when all of that is over near the end of November and the marching band is put on rest, concert season rolls around. For the majority of the band that means learning a few new songs and focusing on schoolwork, but for a few band kids it is the prime time for not only learning the songs to perform for the spring concert but also for learning and perfecting a selection of songs for a district wide concert.

District band is an ensemble which is made up of the best musicians in NEPA and they rehearse for three days then perform a concert. The event allows young musicians to meet professional conductors that come from all around the country, meet other peers from different schools and advance their musical abilities.

Getting into district band wasn’t easy though. To even qualify the musicians needed to perform a piece of music and a few scales in front of three judges while competing against hundreds of other musicians from different schools and ages.  After auditioning to qualify, the students then get another folder of music and had two months to perfect the music before having to audition again in front of another panel of judges. The second time auditioning determined their seating in the band and to determine if the student makes it to Region band. Mason Cocodrilli, a multiple time qualifier for district and region band, talks about his experience at Districts, “It is such an awesome experience to take all these great kids and put them together and have them make beautiful music… You take these, essentially strangers, and have them give an audience chills and the fact that is possible is so magical to me. This just goes to show you how powerful the language of music is. We are all connected through music.”

Although Mason had a great experience at districts, he isn’t the only one who went; in fact, twelve students in total qualified for Districts with five qualifying for Region band.  They are as follows:  Dakota Beavers, Mason Cocodrilli, Keith Franc, Kevin Franc, Amanda Herald, John Kear, Kristi Kromko, Seth Lamberton, Katherine Moore, Holly Opelt, Dakota Schaffroth, and Nathan Taggart all qualified.

About the Writer
Kristi Kromko, Staff Reporter

Kristi is a sophomore at WWSD. She is involved in softball, band and district band. She serves in the position of librarian for band.

The student news site of Western Wayne High School
Twelve Qualify for District Band