Planet Wildcat

Freshman shoots for his Goals by Playing Varsity: Meet Rising Star Matthew Henneforth

Dribble, shoot, rebound, score! Go hard or go home. Matthew Henneforth shoots for his goals as a freshman on the varsity basketball team.

Abby Black, Staff Reporter

Matt, who started basketball at the age of seven, has been playing for eight years. He has always been one of the tall kids, which has given him the upper hand against others. But it hasn’t always been this easy for Matt.

Once he joined varsity, there were many more kids who were not only tall, but also very talented. “I always had the upper hand because I was around six feet in eighth grade,” Matt says, “But now, there are kids who tower over me and they are more athletic”. He struggled with this conflict, but it pushed him to work harder and practice more to succeed. Now, Matt is better and ready for any challenge that is thrown at him.

The team also motivates and helps Matt to become a better player. On the team, there are two other freshman, Zane, and Timmy. Varsity has allowed Matt and these other freshmen players to become closer to the upperclassmen. “The most helpful for me on improving my game has been Rob Carey,” Matt said.  “He is always there for me, and always keeps me confident.”  In Matt’s eyes, it takes a player to shoot a shot, but it takes a team to win.

Matthew Henneforth shows to be a rising star this season. He will not disappoint the boys’ basketball team as they shoot for their goals, believe, and achieve!

About the Writer
Abby Black, Staff Reporter

Abby is a sophomore at WWHS.  She is active in cheer, student council, and FBLA.  Abby is a upbeat, bubbly person who enjoys sleeping in and listening...

The student news site of Western Wayne High School