Planet Wildcat

Clubbed to Death?

Recognizing the importance of a good resume', students work hard to balance academics with extra-curriculars

Back to Article
Back to Article

Clubbed to Death?

Sophomore Noelle Orehek finds balance between schoolwork and funny business in the cafeteria.

Photo by Sydney Peet

Photo by Sydney Peet

Photo by Sydney Peet

Sydney Peet, Staff Reporter

Do you often find yourself canceling your Friday night plans with friends to stay in with your textbooks and notes to study? If so, you are certainly not alone! In fact, many students are in the same boat – caught in between their social lives, extracurricular activities, and their infinite stack of school work. At times, it may appear that the only way to accomplish all your goals would be to drop out of clubs, sports, and community groups that you are involved in.

The authority on all-things college-related warns students not to abandon their passions to increase focus on their studies. This go-to source on the art of transcripts and applications for post-secondary education reports that participation in activities outside of the school, such as work, sports, and clubs, signal to colleges that students are responsible and can manage time. “The things you do in your free time reveal a lot about you — in ways that grades and test scores can’t,”  reads The College Board website.

College Board goes even further by stating that, “Your accomplishments outside the classroom show what you’re passionate about and that you have qualities valued by colleges.” Students should place priority on their grades, but keep in mind that colleges seek a scholar who is involved in pursuits out of the realm of requirement. Even if you have already decided to undertake extra hobbies, it may seem like performing a never-ending juggling act between assignments and activities. So how do students manage to partake in activities outside of their “business hours” at school while maintaining an engagement in competitive learning? Some of Western Wayne’s finest give their tips to keeping up with fast-paced lives as athletes, leaders of community, spirit captains, and most importantly, students.

The key to balance may just be expert planning according to junior Allison Mattern. “To balance after school activities and school work, I like to plan my day out beforehand,” she said.   However, sometimes planning is not enough on its own though – you must always remember what is important.  Allison said it helps to ” know what I need to get done.” Allison is not the only student who emphasizes the importance of prioritizing.

Sophomore Noelle Orehek said she manages her time “by setting priorities for my life.”  Noelle, who is involved in her own fair share of activities such as Future Business Leaders of America and Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science stays organized in this way. Despite the high pressures associated with these types of academic activities, the most important thing in Noelle’s life remains unchanged – her faith. “I make sure that before anything, comes my faith,” Noelle said, noting that this balance doesn’t come without stress.

Not unlike Noelle in terms of making priorities in her life is sophomore Trina Barcarola. Her approach to prioritizing differs slightly in its execution – she highlights the usefulness of her mini-clipboard in her activity tracking. “I am a believer in writing homework assignments and other important things down and crossing them off when completed,” she exclaims. She likens the process to a form of stress therapy – it eases her mind to physically see the signs of her progress written on paper. Planning does not work for every student, however.

Senior Ben Burkhardt often finds himself working through the night due to his filled after-school schedule. He can often be found making gains in the weight room or cheering on the other varsity sports teams, a sweet alternative to studying in the public library. The solution to the issue of time management is simple for Ben. “I often forego sleep to ensure my success academically,” he explained.

Ben’s solution may not work for everyone, but it serves a purpose. Although school work and assignment grades should be monitored above else, perhaps sign up for a new club, and explore your interests. There is no harm in getting involved in your school and community, but the benefits may be limitless. Who knows? You may even find a new love for an activity you would have never tried before. Let the message stand clear: do what you’ve always wanted to do – drop your schoolbooks – and go out to get involved!

About the Writer
Sydney Peet, Staff Reporter

Sydney enjoys reading, writing, listening to show tunes, and expanding her  knowledge of all things history and musical theater.  She dreams of completing...

• Features

Teachers Look Back on High School Days

• Features

FACULTY SPOTLIGHT: MEET TEACHER MRS. JESSICA MCLAUGHLIN

• Clubbed to Death?

Features

Excitement Grows as Color Guard Readies for Homecoming

• Clubbed to Death?

Features

Sophomore Matt Henneforth Experiences Thrill of the Hunt

• Clubbed to Death?

Features

Being Involved in HS Theatre Plus in Many Ways

• Clubbed to Death?

Features

FACULTY SPOTLIGHT: MEET MR. GREG BUTLER

• Clubbed to Death?

Features

Poet’s Corner

• Clubbed to Death?

Features

Faculty Spotlight: Ten Questions with English Teacher Marianne Morgan

• Clubbed to Death?

Features

In Step with . . . Honor Student Caitlin Falloon

• Clubbed to Death?

Features

Earning the Prestigious Eagle Scout Award Noteworthy Milestone for Four WW Students

The student news site of Western Wayne High School
Clubbed to Death?