Planet Wildcat

A Conversation with Cole Fuller, Star Wrestler

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cole Fuller reached yet another milestone at a recent match with Honesdale, winning his 100th pin and most career wins (127) ever by a Western Wayne wrestler.

Courtesy of WWHS

Courtesy of WWHS

Courtesy of WWHS

Gary Geinitz, Staff Reporter

Planet Wildcat reporter Gary Geinitz  recently had the opportunity to talk with senior Cole Fuller who has been recognized for his accomplishments as a star wrestler.  Cole recently recorded his 100th career pin and 127th career win.  He was instrumental in leading the Wildcats to win the Division II title.  

Q:  What got you interested into wrestling and why?

A:  I have been a wrestler ever since I was a kid. I don’t really know how I got into wrestling, but as soon as I started I completely loved it.

Q: How skilled were you early on? Were you a natural or an average joe? What brought you to where you are today?

A: I was a natural from the beginning. Long, hard trainings honed my skills and made me the wrestler I am today.

Q: What do your lifting and wrestling workouts consist of for you to stay on your A Game? What level of difficulty would you consider them?

A: I specifically make my workouts hard. On top of the normal wrestling workouts, I lift 4-5 times a week. I believe that to be the absolute best, I must train harder and work harder than all my opponents. I spend approximately 18 hours a week training.

Q:How would you describe wrestling when compared to other sports? Is it unique? What makes it unique?

A: I believe wrestling is very unique. In wrestling, your success is based solely on you, so win or lose you have no one else but you to blame or credit. This brings a more intense feeling into the matches.

Q:  So, wrestling is divided into specific classes. What weight class do you fit into as of right now? What advantages or disadvantages does it bring forth?

A: I fit into the 200 and heavyweight classes, most of the time my coach puts me at heavyweight and im at a disadvantage because all my opponents are much heavier and I must adapt, however 220 is an even playing field.

Q: Has wrestling been easier or difficult over the course of your career? What makes it easy or difficult?

A: Wrestling is a very difficult sport, but having done wrestling so long its just a part of my life to go through the rigors of wrestling.

Q:  What are some of the toughest times you’ve had during your wrestling career?

A: I would have to say the toughest times I’ve experienced were as an underclassman. You are forced to deal with defeat and many losses and fight your way to the next match.

Q:  So, you’ve hit your 100th pin. How hard was it to achieve this goal? What makes it special to you?

A: Not too hard. As happy as I am with the record, it wasn’t so much of a goal to hit rather than a byproduct of my particular style which is doing moves that resulted in a high pin ratio. Nevertheless, I am happy to have done something no one else has ever done in Western Wayne.

Q:  Do you have future goals based around wrestling? What goals would they be? Are you going to college as a wrestler? Why or why not?

A: I don’t have any specific goals. I actually am split between going to college as a football player or wrestler. I find football to be more like family and incredibly fun, however I am much better at wrestling and love the intensity.

Q:  Finally, what advice and motivation would you provide to current or future wrestlers to keep them interested and dangerous on the mats?

A: My advice would be to never back down from any difficulties. If there is someone better than you on the mats, train to beat him. You must adapt and overcome. It is a given that you must train harder than anyone you know in order to truly be the greatest.

The student news site of Western Wayne High School