Marching Band Gets New Threads

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marching Band Gets New Threads

Photo Courtesy of Cole Alpaugh

Photo Courtesy of Cole Alpaugh

Photo Courtesy of Cole Alpaugh

Photo Courtesy of Cole Alpaugh
Marching Band has been a hallmark of American High schools for as long as anyone can remember, and our band is no exception. ‘The Pride of Western Wayne’ has been cheering on the Wildcat Football Team and marching in community parades for years.

They have performed up and down the east coast and have worked diligently to perform at their best. However, one can only perform at their best if they look their best. The Marching Band Uniforms have not changed since they were ordered for the 1995-96 Marching Season, and their age shows.

“After all that time, any audience would love to see something new,” says Band Public Relations Officer, Tyler Velez. The uniforms are distinctly old fashioned in design, compared to those of surrounding schools, and although this may be a charming feature it’s not the only factor to bear in mind. Many of the uniforms have been readjusted for a plethora of students over the years. Such wear and tear can take its toll. Even the experienced help of Mrs. Shaffer and Mrs. Ofner who generously donate their time to keep the Band properly clothed can’t keep their age at bay. Despite the best efforts of the Music Department time keeps marching on, with or without safety pins.

That is why we are excited to announce the instatement of brand new uniforms this 2017-18 Marching Season! Thanks to the generosity of the Administration and the School Board the Wildcat Marching Band and Color Guard have received entirely new uniforms from the plumes down to the dinkles. The uniforms display a sharp and modern design while still incorporating the classic Western Wayne colors and emblem. The uniforms were designed with input from band students, and their comfort and style in mind. “I’m very excited for the students to be able to show off the new look to the community,” Band Director Mrs. Ort said.  “They work so hard, I’m sure, they’re excited, too.”

Indeed the Band Students are glowing with pride about the new uniforms. “I love how they’re nice to look at and how warm they are,” senior Band Member, Hannah Aleva said.

“I like that they fit!” junior Joe Jezorski added. Many students expressed satisfaction at the addition of interior pockets. With these new uniforms, the Wildcat Marching Band can proudly represent Western Wayne wherever they go- and they can keep their wallets on hand while they’re at it.