Rising Star: Rebecca Klemovitch

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rising Star: Rebecca Klemovitch

Freshman Rebecca Klemovitch excelled on the court this season. She already has her coach's eye as an up an coming  player to watch.

Freshman Rebecca Klemovitch excelled on the court this season. She already has her coach's eye as an up an coming player to watch.

Photo by Maya Black

Photo by Maya Black

Photo by Maya Black

Maya Black, Staff Reporter

rising-start-profileGet low when the whistle blows! Good pass, Good set… don’t dream it, be it.  Always expect to win, which is what first time varsity volleyball player, Rebecca Klemovitch does every time she steps onto the court.

This has been Becca’s first year playing volleyball, with no past experience. “At first, I hated the sport, and I didn’t want to play, until my neighbor Anya started showing me some stuff and I started enjoying the sport more and more. I like to try new things,” she said.

Becca’s favorite part of volleyball is hitting the ball at the net. Coach Darren Thorpe said she Becca can definitely be a goofball, but it’s good because she’s having fun while improving her skills.  In fact, she’s already caught Coach Thorpe’s eye for potential.  “She could be the best player on this team, if she continues to work hard,” he said.

Becca’s first year starting varsity has bonded her with the girls on the team and opened a door towards a new passion.  She plans on working hard for next season. “Our team is very good and has lots of potential. The other girls are great players!”  Becca is grateful t0 her coaches, Mr. Thorpe and Ms. Yvonne Berger, for giving her this opportunity to play for the team.  “They’ve showed me a lot, teaching me the ins and outs to volleyball,” she said.  Becca will definitely be back next season, better than ever.

In addition to volleyball, Becca also plays basketball, which she has been playing since third grade. There is no doubt that she is enjoys basketball and even plans to continue playing for the team not only for the rest of high school but maybe choosing a college where she will be able to play both sports.  Becca dreams of being able to play off season volleyball for AAU.