MEGABOWL: Wildcats Score Championship Title

Evan Coons, Staff Reporter

The Western Wayne Wildcats finished their 2016 regular season with a 5-5 record and the title of Eastern Conference Class 3A Champs against Meyers.  This game had a lot riding on it because it was a chance to show other schools that the Wildcats are back and hungrier than ever. The Wildcats did not disappoint.

This Western Wayne football team is headed by Coach Randy Wolffe, who previously played high school football at North Pocono and was a defensive coordinator at Delaware Valley. Coach Wolffe had these things to say about the game, “I think it’s more important for the school, the community and the players. I was lucky enough to win championships as a player and a coach so for Western Wayne to be able to experience that type of feeling would be great for the program. Once you get a taste of winning you don’t want it to stop.”

The team looked to quarterback Scott Walck to lead the offense in the passing game. Scott Walck has over 5,000 passing yards over his illustrious high school career, which only six players can say they are in from our area, including Matt McGloin who is a quarterback for the Oakland Raiders. When asked about the offense against this Meyers defense, Walck said, “Going in, I felt we would fair great against Meyers. We have a lot of seniors who stepped up and played a great game. The team has worked hard all week, and the team worked hard all week before the playoffs.  We were well-prepared.” Although the first half was dominated by Meyers who scored an early lead, the Wildcats showed their power in the last minute of the first quarter when Scott hit Cameron Kilgallon for a touchdown.  This put the Wildcats back into the game with a score of 14-12, and they took off from there, winning the title with a score of 26-24, with Kobe Sauter scoring three touchdowns.

For seniors like Scott, the game was a sweet end to their careers.  When asked about the possibility of flowing tears, Scott was philosophical.  “All good things must come to an end at some point, but I am glad to have played my last game with the team I have,” he said.

This season saw Bayly Williams leading he young offensive line of Jacob Brodowsky, Evan Coons, Gavin Lamberton, Anthony Merone. Bayly Williams has been a rock for the Wildcats, a dependable player throughout this season. Bayly knew “this line would hold its own due to the discipline it has.”

Before this last game, Bayly said that he would be crying “whether we win or lose, no doubt in my mind.”

The remaining starting seniors who added to this winning season and championship title included one of Walck’s targets Cameron Kilgallon, kicker Graham Dudley, middle linebacker Luai Hassan, and wide receiver Ethan Boots.