Color Guard Better Every Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Color Guard Better Every Year

Color Guard is like a home away from home for members Katlyn Hirsch (8th Grade) Madison Rastello (10th Grade) Brianna Trutt (10th Grade) Kayli Hineline (10th Grade) and Mason Coccadrilli (11th Grade).

Photo Courtesy of Brianna Trutt

Photo Courtesy of Brianna Trutt

Photo Courtesy of Brianna Trutt

Brianna Trutt, Staff Reporter

color-guard-in-actionPhoto courtesy of Mr. Cole Alpaugh
Color Guard is an extracurricular activity unlike any other school activity. It requires not only a lot of hard work and dedication but also an independent spirit.  “Some students have put us down as not being as cool as other activities like cheerleading or dance,” sophomore Madison Rastello said, “but there is really no reason to. Many people join color guard every year, and every year the team that is put together gets better.”

Color Guard, like cheerleading and dance, requires strenuous practice almost every day.  This means members have to hold a lot of dedication. In this activity, members learn how to twirl a flag to sets of music. When these routines are learned and accomplished they are set on a field and marched on the football field for the football games. The color guard travel along with the football team to every game, and although many people might believe that this activity is only during the school year, in fact members work throughout the summer as well. So, luckily, there is never time away from this amazing team!

Senior and Captain Alexis (Lexi) Lanza enjoys giving her all to the activity and is eager to take on the hard work being captain takes. “Being captain is an amazing experience. It gives me an opportunity to interact with other leaders and make new friends. It also allows me to build my leadership skills,” she said.  Still, Lexi admits, the job isn’t particularly easy.  “It is a hard job. It’s hard because you must be able to make routines, understand/teach, call/ follow routines, and be patient. Also understanding other students and keeping them in line on top of school work,” she explained “but overall, it’s very rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.” Lexi would like to see more students learn about color guard.  “It is an amazing opportunity!” she said.

Unfortunately, although the WWHS Color Guard is visible at all pep rallies and games, not many students know about much about it until they meet someone who does.  For example, sophomore Kayli Hineline first found out about the club from her mother.  “From experience I knew for a fact that this activity is very fun because my mom did it when she was in school.” With her mother’s encouragement, Kayli saw color guard as an opportunity “to try something new.” For this reason, she was very interested in learning more from the current team.  “The team came to lunch and performed then walked around with sign-up sheets,” she explained.

Madison, on the other hand, knew about the team when she was in middle school.  “I knew people who were in it, and I thought it was cool, and it looked fun!”  The experience has proven Madison right.  “It really is fun!” she said.  “Everyone is so nice and accepting. It’s like having a home away from home.”

In fact, if your perception of this activity has changed, Madison urges you to come watch the squad at the next pep rally or football game.  “You’ll be glad you did,” she said.